Friday, June 3, 2011

Reflections on Simple Pleasures

     As I sat on my deck after a wonderful weekend I found myself content in what I once would have considered almost ridiculous pleasures. This happens to us all, I think, as we get older and mature. Although I'm not sure that's always a good thing. Our tastes change, to be sure, but there's something to be said for one's internal consistency. Would it be so bad if my aspirations rose "only" to wings and beer? Certainly not, since sometimes that's exactly what I want. But by and large, I find myself in a more adult world. A world of leather bound books and rooms at smell of rich mahogany.
     Last night I had myself a large (nearly perfectly made, thank you very much) gin and tonic. I'll point out, since I find myself becoming kind of a snob about it, that it's Sapphire gin...just adds a bit more taste. Of course I served it in an Eagles pint glass, but that couldn't be helped. Along with my nearly perfect drink I had an Oliva Series G. That's a cigar...told you I was becoming a bit of a snob. A fantastic smoke that I relish more and more, especially with a cocktail or (more often) a good stout or lager.
     Even just a handful of years ago, I would have viewed that last paragraph as a load of pompous crap.  But the development of these different tastes has been a pleasure that I'm glad has happened.  More so because they are in addition my original set of preferences, not a replacement for them.
     Of course all this is really just common sense.  Tastes change.  Almost always will over time.  But it begs the question, "Am I happy about it?"  The simple answer is yes, especially since I derive so much pleasure from this more, I'll call it refined, palette.  However, there are a couple things I consider when pondering this about myself.
    First is that I find that enjoying the new pastime of cigars and gin comes with more alone time than I'm used to.  That's not a bad thing at all, I like it actually.  But it feels strange to choose something that may limit time with family and friends.  I suppose that says something about my true nature, but I'll let you judge me on that point.  As I imagine it, there are fewer things better than hanging at a shot-and-a-beer joint with a group of friends, playing shuffleboard and generally carousing.  Feels funny to so easily put that aside.
     Second, and harder to come to grips with, is the feeling of growing ever so slightly pretentious.  Not sure pretentious is the right word, since the feelings are genuine.  I'm not trying to put on airs, it's just the way things are.  Unless left with no other option, I can't bring myself to intentionally choose a light beer.  I find myself with a taste, generally, for cigars a bit beyond my financial comfort.  Although I haven't been able to get past paying too much for something I'm going to burn and inhale...just wrangles me a little.  Also, give me Tanqueray or better.  I actually have no idea if that is a "great" gin, but I know lesser ones when I taste them and I turn my nose up at them.  Geez, I sound like an ass-head just writing that.
     I suppose my point here (is there one?) is that it's nice to embrace these new directions.  Don't go quietly into that untested night.  When you ponder things, anything, having had these new experiences and growth, you'll have a wider perspective.  Wrap your arms around that which you once eschewed.  You don't know what you might be missing.  It'll feel unnatural at first, but you might just be finding your next favorite thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment