Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The Powerful Play Goes On

As I sat on my covered porch puffing a Padron torpedo, something occurred to me.  We are pimples on Mother Nature's firm shapely ass.  I love to watch weather as it happens, and the latest raging storm has put on a good show.  I have no real interest in the actual damage a big storm can cause, but more in the majesty of it, in the raw power and enormity.

The freight train that rushes thought the trees passes right beside me.  The endless water flowing down the sidewalk and into the street portents of Noah preparing his couples.  Almost makes one believe that the seas will boil and frogs will fall from the skies any moment...almost.

It's inspiring, really.  We like to think we have a handle on our world, that we're prepared.  And maybe we are as much as we can conceive.  But is the ant really ever prepared for the boot?  Mother Nature continues her cycles around us without the slightest regard, and I think I like that.  It's humbling.  And at times we humans can use a dose of that.  We build monstrosities and fling ourselves into space and try to shape the world to fit our needs; and I think that's really very cool.  I would not for a second want us to stop any exploration.  But once in a while I feel a little tap on our collective shoulders to say, "You know, you're just tenets here," can be a good thing.  I'm sure the dinosaurs would agree...if they could.

There just isn't anything we can do about it in the long run.  Sure we can build levies, shutter windows and put our houses on stilts.  But we all know in the back of our minds that it's all just a band aid on a gun shot wound.  Eventually it will give way.

So next time Mother Nature gets her ire up and decides to put on a windy, watery, wild show, stop for a few minutes and watch.  She is as good a performer as you will find.  And you just might be a bit more introspective for the exercise.

RALSTON HAS SPOKEN


No comments:

Post a Comment