Monday, March 7, 2011

Words...Words...Words...

      Words are only “bad” because we apply so much value to them.  That's a very basic principle, but as I recently considered it I let myself formulate another of my intrinsically correct theories.  While playing a video game the other day, I was surprised to find myself more taken aback than anticipated when the game dropped the dreaded F-bomb.  The main character of Medal of Honor: Black Ops (yes, that’s an endorsement – cause the game is just that much fun) was tied to a chair and fired off some language that I of the Intellivision generation was not accustomed.  I immediately blanched.  Then I had a second thought.  This doesn’t need to be a big deal.
     We attach such horror to these little strings of letters that you would think that Satan himself conjured them.  Children the world over have recited, "Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me."  Have we completely forgotten that?  Sure, an insult can temporarily wound the psyche, but only because of the generations of programming that we have all endured.
Now, do I want my kids to turn to me as I play my session of Black Ops and say, "Hey dad, It was fucking awesome, the way you took it to that nazi pussy!"  Of course not...except that I really did.  But I don't want them to say it for a different reason than you think.  Not really because these words are never to be used, but because I think my kids are smarter than that.  Or I at least want them to be.  There is always a way to be smart enough and clever enough to find more interesting ways to express themselves.  We adults use this language all the time, and I'm not say we're all dumbing down our language...but we might just be.
     So, I suppose since this is better directed to the adults out there.  Especially all you puritans that still pronounce it H-E-double hockey sticks.  Just stop it.  We all know what Hell is (I may not believe in it - stay tuned for that blog later - but I use it) and that we know that using the word ads punch to an exclamation.  Same goes for fuck, shit, dick, etc.  Ooo...
     This is just one step in my plan to allow ourselves to be expressive without feeling constantly wounded by the mere sound of a word.  Ask yourself if you are really that horrified when you hear another adult spewing profanities (a word I hesitate to use in this context)?  If so, why?  Was this person trying to make you feel bad?  Was he actively yelling directly at you for some reason?  Do you have some underlying reason that someone else's vocabulary should make you take offense?  I suspect the answer is no.  And, if it is, then just relax a bit.
     On to the inevitable "But Peter, there is no reason for using this kind of language."  Well, you are correct.  There is no reason, really.  There are always options, and I like to think I can craft a string of exclamation without the 7 deadly words, but sometimes it's just more fun to use them.  Sometimes it really just feels right.  It needs to be in the back of our minds that unless my exclamations are directed specifically at you, then please don't take offense.  It's just words.  THEY CAN'T HURT YOU!
     My challenge to you my readers, and to myself, is to be more intelligent, more creative and more original than we as a population normally purport ourselves.  Because while I like to throw down a juicy fuck you now and then, sometimes it cuts more to actually use a new word.  Let's just live and let live.  Remember that whole freedom of speech thing the founding fathers came up with?  I think it's a damn good idea.  I'm not even saying that you have to like someone's language, but consider why you don't like it.  And if you can't take it, then you can always walk away.  That's freedom of choice.  Look at that...point 2 for the founders.

See you next time.

Ralston Has Spoken.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you ..as always ...well said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a show on TV recently (either 3, 10, or PBS - I don't pay for TV anymore and I don't pick up many stations with my awesome antenna... told the cable company to go to H-E-Double Hockey Sticks), and it was a study of cursing. And the scientific tests that were performed concluded that my cursing you can tolerate more pain for a longer duration of time. And that's science, It doesn't lie! TAKE THAT PURITIANS!

    ReplyDelete